To be honest with you guys, Iím a sucker when dealing with bag arrangement. I can spent hours trying to maximize things Iíd like to carry in my bag without sacrificing the bagís weight. A lot of thing goes in and out from my bag, solely so I can have the biggest bang for the weight.
Based on that introduction I want to make a series of articles discussing this issue (starting from this article), and to add some weight to the series in the future articles, I intend to invite people I know to contributed to the series, they can be friends, or other known people whom I know through their blog or work.
Because Iím the one starting this series, let me introduce the things I carry everyday in my bag, enjoy.
Grey/black color Bodypack Ė backpack (no pun intended)
- This bag is very durable, long lasting, classic nice design and the price is unmatched by any brand in this price range
HP mini black
- When youíre working as field engineer, long lasting battery power and light weight laptop is golden, this HP mini had battery juice capable of giving me 4 Ė 5 hours of useful power, 1.1 kg of weight and enough power to run Microsoft Office suite, oh.. did I mention that the price is fucking cheap? Nice!
Seagate Free Agent Go 250GB
- Portable/External Hard Disk For work files repository and synchronizing media to all of my laptop, though from the design point of view, you have to admit that its brushed-metal aluminum casing is drop dead gorgeous.
Casio Edifice Analog and Casio full digital G-Shock
- When I am not in the field I usually use the analog one, but when in field, there is no replacement for this 9-year old ruggedized G-Shock. It got everything that I need from a watch especially that loud alarm feature to ensure you wake up at 4.30 AM (yes, it usual to wake up at 4:30 when field work)
Smartphones (Samsung Valencia and Palm Treo 650)
- Palm Treo 650 (palmOS) with Telkom Flexi mostly for talking to my wife, because of its insanely cheap talk time price
- Samsung Valencia (Windows Mobile 6.1) with Telkomsel Halo mostly used for email, RSS reading and some social-networking. Itís doing great with those exchange server push email and with handful apps slice twitter and Facebook like a hot knife through a butter
Stationary kit and miscellaneous
- Business card holder
- Notebook: For keeping note, unfortunately its not moleskin
- 3G Modem container (formerly a reading glass container)
- Couples of bank saving book: for backup, if something wrong happen with my ATM card
Non essential things in my bag
- HP pavilion entertainment series Notebook that I sometime carry during field trip - yes it mean I bring 2 laptop (not visible)
- Universal electrical outlet (I don't know what they call it in English, but in Indonesian; Colokan universal): US based oil company usually have three pin electric socket, European one usually have usual two pin electric socket, this universal socket can be extremely useful when jumping from one oil rig to another (not visible)
- Charger (Netbook, Smartphone, Bluetooth) (not visible)
- Bluetooth handset (not visible)
- Steel ruler
- Yellow marker
- Car key
- Other Keys mostly for opening drawer
- Paperwork (not visible)
- USB transfer cable and flash disk (not visible)
More less 5 kg of weight.
Is There something that you would like to add or remove from the bag?
Well, for once, I would like to only bring a single phone, but today voice/data plan offered by any GSM provider just doesnít interest me much, and dual SIM card phone usually suck at battery or just plain ugly KIRF, so back to usual 1 GSM and 1 CDMA phone setup.
Other thing probably buying a portable media for road companion. My work sometime required me to have a long journey or worse, waiting a freaking air travel delay. A portable media to keep my hand busy seem nice. Although its not a major priority right now, but if I have to choose, probably a PSP 3000 or Ipod Touch.
Beyond those two, I'm quite happy with the setup.
That's all folk
Just to remind you this articles was part of Things I carry everyday in my bag series